A4 Composition Competition
There are just a few weeks left to get your entries in for A4 Brass Quartet’s 3rd annual Composition Competition. A representative from the ensemble stated, “We've already received a number of entries from around the world and looking forward to welcoming the rest of the entrants before the Friday 10th April deadline.”
A4 Brass are looking for a concert work inspired by the city, culture, and/or heritage of Manchester, the quartet’s spiritual home. Works for either acoustic brass quartet or works incorporating backing tracks and/or audio electronics will be accepted.
The brief for the compositions is very free, but the following must apply to each entry:
• Compositions must be of 4-8 minutes in duration
• Works must never have been performed before
• Instrumentation of: Bb Cornet (doubling Flugel), Tenor Horn in Eb, Baritone Horn in Bb (treble clef) and Euphonium in Bb (treble clef)
• Mutes are available if required for all instruments
• It is not necessary to submit scores anonymously
• Please consider score/part presentation, practicality and suitability for concert performance for the entry
• Entries MUST contain a set of BOTH score and parts.
A4 are offering a healthy £650 prize fund, and also aim to encourage a new generation of student composers with a special Under 24 award (if both 1st and 2nd prize fall into this category, the next highest U24 entry will receive this award).
Scores can be submitted as either a Sibelius 7 (or earlier) file or as PDF files accompanied by an mp3/m4a file, and need to be emailed to email@example.com with ‘A4 COMPOSITION COMPETITION’ in the subject line.
For more news, features, articles and reviews, subscribe to BBW Digital, available to read online (annual subscription: £30), or subscribe to BBW's printed magazine delivered by post: £40 (UK); £68 (Europe); £81 (Rest of the World). Alternatively, receive both the Digital and printed editions combined: £55 (UK); £83 (Europe); £96 (rest of the world) - saving 50% on the Digital edition. Click here to subscribe!