2019 French National Championship
Congratulations to Hauts de France who won their fifth National Championship in Mégacité, Amiens under the skillful direction of conductor Luc Vertommen. Only a point separated the champions and runners-up Paris Brass Band and Paul Holland, Chairman of the Adjudicating panel was keen to pay tribute to the outstanding performances from both bands. Paris Brass Band impressed with the own choice selection of ‘Music of the Spheres’ by Philip Sparke, whilst Hauts de France were technically dazzling with Simon Dobson’s ‘The Turing Test’. Both bands also delivered superb performances of the set test, however it was Hauts de France who were the deserving winners when the results were announced.
Congratulations also go to the winners of the lower divisions: Douai Brass Band, Brass Band du Hainaut, Brass Band de L'Oise and Brass Band Coniques.
Jury: Paul Holland (president), Bastien Stil, Jacob de Haan
Test piece: St. Magnus (Kenneth Downie)
1. Hauts-de-France (Luc Vertommen) — 95
2. Paris Brass Band (Florent Didier) — 94
3. Brass Band de Lyon (Julien Roh) — 84
Test piece: A London Overture (Philip Sparke)
1. Douai Brass Band (Olivier Degardin) — 89
2. Brass Band Brassage (Laurent Douvre) — 87
3. Strasbourg (Philippe Wendling) — 83
Test piece: Lions of Legend Thierry Deleruyelle)
1. Brass Band du Hainaut (Thibaut Bruniaux) — 88
2. Orchestra de Cuivres Amiens (Eric Brisse) — 81
Test piece: Toccata Festiva (Jan van Roost)
1. Brass Band de L'Oise (Yannick Parent) — 83
Test piece: Hinemoa (Gareth Wood)
1. Brass Band Coniques (Antoine Freart) — 92
2. Musicalis Algrange (Andre Sablon) — 85
3. Brass Band Lyon Junior (Anthony Galinier) — 83
For more news, features, articles and reviews, subscribe to BBW Digital, available to read online (annual subscription: £30), or subscribe to BBW's printed magazine delivered by post: £40 (UK); £68 (Europe); £81 (Rest of the World). Alternatively, receive both the Digital and printed editions combined: £55 (UK); £83 (Europe); £96 (rest of the world) - saving 50% on the Digital edition. Click here to subscribe!